Sunday, October 31, 2010

Discrimination

A young mother, age 24 was struggling to deliver her forth child. She was in labor pain for almost 3 days but still unable to deliver the baby.

As the last resort, the midwife, decided to sit on the mom's tummy to force the baby to come out, which caused the mom's uterus ruptured and the baby died inside the womb.

The mom was in deep pain and she need to go to the hospital which was 75 miles from her home. By motorcycle.

Imagine this,

She was in pain. Her uterus has exploded. The baby inside is dead and she need to take a bike ride on bumpy road for 75 miles just to go to the hospital.

She arrived at a small empty hospital. With lack of facilities and left untreated for two days. She was in total pain and getting weaker and weaker each day and lost a lot of blood at the same time.

Stop.

Then I changed the channel. Because this is too extreme for me, I cant take it anymore.

This is a real story. Happened in a very remote area in Cameroon. I watched it in Oprah tonight and yes, women is still discriminated in most ways in some countries. They don't have the right for education, they just been forced to get married, then get pregnant with lack of health facilities and in most cases they died during delivery. They're not been respected in the way they should just because they're women which I think its too ridiculous. Because of the culture, I guess, they didn't even know their right because they've used to it and for them, being a woman they only live to carry all the burden.
I dont know what to say, I guess I should be lucky being a woman in my own country.

Women all over the world should be treated in equal way with men.

No comments: